[IronPython] Why is IronPython so much slower to import modules when built as an exe then as a script?

Doug Warren doug.warren at gmail.com
Wed Sep 1 20:11:13 CEST 2010

I wrote a small script for work and when developing it everything was fine but
when I turned it over for production use people complained about the time it
took to display the first form.  Looking into it, all the time seemed to be
spent in importing various modules used by the script.  I made a new script
of just the import statements and a print Hello World and then ran it both as
a python script and an executable with the results below.  What's going on and
is there any way to speed this up?

Python file:
$ for i in {1..10}
> do
>   time ./ipy.exe time.py
> done
real    0m1.712s
real    0m1.701s
real    0m1.689s
real    0m1.691s
real    0m1.709s
real    0m1.663s
real    0m1.697s
real    0m1.700s
real    0m1.699s
real    0m1.741s

exe built with ipy pyc.py /main:time.py /target:exe
$ for i in {1..10}
> do
>   time ./time.exe | grep -v user | grep -v sys
> done
real    0m22.119s
real    0m22.116s
real    0m22.133s