[IronPython] ipy.exe crashes when launched from a subst UNC path

K.L. zzmycat at gmail.com
Fri Sep 17 03:46:47 CEST 2010

The following scenario will cause ipy.exe to crash. Please determine if it's
a bug. Or please let me know where I should go and log this bug.

I want to have a minimal "portable" ironpython environment that can be
accessed from any machine in the Corp net. So I put the necessary ipy.exe
and dll's on a UNC path: \\server\path. If I launch this ipy.exe by
"\\server\path\ipy.exe", that's fine. But if I do:

subst K: \\server\path
K:
ipy.exe

It will crash and throw the following .NET exception:

Unhandled Exception: System.ArgumentException: The parameter is incorrect.
(Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070057 (E_INVALIDARG))
   at
System.Security.Policy.PEFileEvidenceFactory.GetLocationEvidence(SafePEFileHandle
peFile, SecurityZone& zone, StringHandleOnStack retUrl)
   at
System.Security.Policy.PEFileEvidenceFactory.GenerateLocationEvidence()
   at System.Security.Policy.PEFileEvidenceFactory.GenerateEvidence(Type
evidenceType)
   at System.Security.Policy.AssemblyEvidenceFactory.GenerateEvidence(Type
evidenceType)
   at System.Security.Policy.Evidence.GenerateHostEvidence(Type type,
Boolean hostCanGenerate)
   at System.Security.Policy.Evidence.GetHostEvidenceNoLock(Type type)
   at System.Security.Policy.Evidence.GetHostEvidence(Type type, Boolean
markDelayEvaluatedEvidenceUsed)
   at System.Security.Policy.AppDomainEvidenceFactory.GenerateEvidence(Type
evidenceType)
   at System.Security.Policy.Evidence.GenerateHostEvidence(Type type,
Boolean hostCanGenerate)
   at System.Security.Policy.Evidence.GetHostEvidenceNoLock(Type type)
   at System.Security.Policy.Evidence.RawEvidenceEnumerator.MoveNext()
   at System.Security.Policy.Evidence.EvidenceEnumerator.MoveNext()
   at System.Configuration.ClientConfigPaths.GetEvidenceInfo(AppDomain
appDomain, String exePath, String& typeName)
   at System.Configuration.ClientConfigPaths.GetTypeAndHashSuffix(AppDomain
appDomain, String exePath)
   at System.Configuration.ClientConfigPaths..ctor(String exePath, Boolean
includeUserConfig)
   at System.Configuration.ClientConfigPaths.GetPaths(String exePath,
Boolean includeUserConfig)
   at
System.Configuration.ClientConfigurationHost.RequireCompleteInit(IInternalConfigRecord
record)
   at
System.Configuration.BaseConfigurationRecord.GetSectionRecursive(String
configKey, Boolean getLkg, Boolean checkPermission, Boolean
getRuntimeObject, Boolean requestIsHere, Object& result, Object&
resultRuntimeObject)
   at System.Configuration.BaseConfigurationRecord.GetSection(String
configKey)
   at
System.Configuration.ClientConfigurationSystem.System.Configuration.Internal.IInternalConfigSystem.GetSection(String
sectionName)
   at System.Configuration.ConfigurationManager.GetSection(String
sectionName)
   at
Microsoft.Scripting.Hosting.Configuration.Section.LoadRuntimeSetup(ScriptRuntimeSetup
setup, Stream configFileStream)
   at PythonConsoleHost.CreateRuntimeSetup()
   at Microsoft.Scripting.Hosting.Shell.ConsoleHost.Run(String[] args)
   at PythonConsoleHost.Main(String[] args)