[IronPython] MAPI & IronPython

Daniel D. dvdotsenko at gmail.com
Fri Apr 8 02:40:07 CEST 2011

We probably digressed on the subject of Thunderbird. It can't talk
MAPI to server - i meant. It supports MAPI as way to allow windows to
route the emails through it. More here:

http://kb.mozillazine.org/MAPI_Support

Back to your issue:
Python + Zimbra.

Zimbra can speak both MAPI and IMAP. For what you need (email client)
- IMAP is sufficient. if you can convince the admin t share with you
IMAP set up for Zimbra, your problem is solved. If MAPI is all the
server can talk, and it's not actual Exchange, use a MAPI client to
talk to it.

You don't need Outlook to talk to MAPI server. You can get barebones
MAPI libs on a windows machine and have Redemption to talk to it.
Either way, MAPI to server is a pain. Better try to get IMAP settings
exposed to you to the Zimbra server, then use the flavor of Python you
want with standard IMAPlib module.