[Ironpython-users] Inject RemoteObjects via SetVariable

Joscht, Thomas thomas.joscht at siemens.com
Tue Dec 6 13:37:28 CET 2011

Hi,

I'm trying to develop a script engine with debugging propabilites in Visual Studio in IronPython. My application is a client-server scenario. The scripts normally run hosted on a server and some objects like my OrderController are injected via ScriptScope and SetVariable method (this is my context of script). The server has access to the DB and so on. For debugging (on any developer machine) I connect via remoting to get an OrderController from server and try to inject this as SetVariable in script. My Problem is, that this doesn't work directly. Example:

// Get the OrderController (Proxy) via Remoting:
IOrderController service = (IOrderController)Activator.GetObject(typeof(IOrderController), "tcp://localhost:9898/Server/OrderController");

// Create scope and set OrderController as global variable:
ScriptScope scope = runtime.CreateScope();
scope.SetVariable("OrderController", service); // -> This throws an SerializationException because many classes are not marked as serializable!

// I have tried to unmarshal my OrderController (Proxy) and inject this serviceProxy. Example:
System.Runtime.Remoting.ObjectHandle handle = (System.Runtime.Remoting.ObjectHandle) service;
object unmarshaledService = System.Runtime.Remoting.RemotingServices.Unmarshal(handle.CreateObjRef(typeof(IOrderController)),true);
IOrderController serviceProxy = (IOrderController)unmarshaledService ;
scope.SetVariable("OrderController",serviceProxy);

This works for the OrderController, but not for another MarshalByRefObjects which are Members of the OrderController. In my example is the Member 'SubObject' an another MarshalByRef object like the OrderController which has string Member 'Name'. Access in script to Member 'Name' fail. Example in python:
print OrderController.SubObject.Name // -> This throws an MissingMemberException. 'MarshalByRefObject' has no attribute 'Name'.

but in C# in my class which is hosting the script before I set the serviceProxy via SetVariable and run the script I can run Console.WriteLine(serviceProxy.SubObject.Name) without Problems.

What can I do? I wouldn't create the OrderController in script via remoting because Script should run without changes with OrderController as normal object and with OrderController as RemoteObject. So developer can directly publish there new scripts to server and any client can run this. Thanks

Best regards,
Thomas Joscht