[Ironpython-users] IronPython for Android

Jeff Hardy jdhardy at gmail.com
Thu Dec 22 08:34:49 CET 2011

In what must have been a fit of insanity, I decided to try porting
IronPython to Mono for Android. Surprisingly, it wan't that hard to
get it to compile, and the new build system makes it much easier to
add more platforms (this is not a coincidence, of course).

Unfortunately, I don't know enough about MonoDroid to say that it will
work 100%. My very quick hello world demo worked, but it doesn't do
much. I don't know what pieces are only loaded at runtime that will
fail, and I haven't figured out a sane way to run the test suite under
the Android emulator.

If you want to check it out, there's a preview build available at
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/18551867/IronPython-2.7.2a0.zip (look in
Platforms/android) and the source is at
https://github.com/jdhardy/ironpython/tree/ipy-2.7-android. Please
open any issues on http://ironpython.codeplex.com/workitem/list/basic,
as always.

This, of course, is just the beginning. MonoTouch, Windows Phone,
Windows 8 Metro, etc. would all be nice additions as well.

- Jeff