[IronPython] Misleading test runner output /all VS /test:name_of_test

Daniel D. dvdotsenko at gmail.com
Fri Feb 4 19:03:51 CET 2011

Hi.

Please, help me wrap my head around this issue. Wanted to run
unittests to see what areas need to be addressed.

This is the tail of

Languages\IronPython\IronPython\cpy test_univnewlines_cpy
                    PASSED    6.7633868
Languages\IronPython\IronPython\cpy test_weakref_cpy
                    FAILED    14.8568497
Languages\IronPython\IronPython\cpy test_zipfile_cpy
                    DISABLED  0
Languages\IronPython\IronPython\cpy test_zipfile64_cpy
                    DISABLED  0
Languages\IronPython\IronPython\modules modules_io_related_ipy
                    PASSED    15.1468663
Failed test summary:
test_pyc_ipy
modules_system_related_ipy
test_subprocess_cpy
test_weakref_cpy
Total time: 1743.824741 seconds

Immediately after that ran the "failing" test_subprocess_cpy
individually and got a passing grade:

C:\work\ironlang>Test\TestRunner\TestRunner\bin\Debug\TestRunner.exe
Test\IronPython.tests /test:test_subprocess_cpy /verbose
Languages\IronPython\IronPython\cpy test_subprocess_cpy
                    PASSED    343.3856406
Total time: 343.428643 seconds

I guess we can expect some variation in outcome there, due to random
load effects on pipe throughput between subprocess and calling parent
code, and I will check for that. Besides the randomness of conditions,
are there variations in settings between /all and /test:name_of_test
that would cause different test outcomes?

Daniel.