[IronPython] Arright dangit! Where is the OFFICIAL IronPython source code?

Jeff Hardy jdhardy at gmail.com
Mon Feb 21 21:09:36 CET 2011

On Mon, Feb 21, 2011 at 11:58 AM, Brian Curtin <brian.curtin at gmail.com> wrote:
> I think this would be better suited in the standard library at
> svn.python.org, rather than just within IronPython. Thoughts on that? I
> haven't followed long enough to know how standard library changes are
> usually handled around here, but you'd have to re-apply this change whenever
> re-syncing.

Generally we prefer to remain as close as possible to the CPython
stdlib, but I think the 2.7 stdlib is pretty much frozen at this
point. When switching to the 3.x stdlib, we'll figure out what can be
pushed upstream and what should maybe be IronPython-specific.

I'm hoping that, with 3.2 now out, the process of splitting off the
stdlib can proceed, but I think it's held up by the hg transition as
well. That would be ideal.

> As for the change, wouldn't it be cleaner to make a shortcut like """windows
> = sys.platform in ["win32", "cli"]""" and then test """if windows:"""?

The problem is that just 'cli' != 'windows' - it could be running on
Linux or MacOS via Mono. The best I've found for identifying Windows
is:

sys.platform == 'win32' or (sys.platform == 'cli' and os.name == 'nt')

or, just:

os.name == 'nt'

- Jeff