[IronPython] Writing a Compiler framework: Static typing use of the DLR

Alexander Morou alexander.morou at gmail.com
Wed Jan 5 15:39:01 CET 2011

Hello,

I'm not really sure where to ask this question, so I figured I'd ask
on the mailing list of the project that largely started the DLR
(assuming memory serves correctly.)  I'm writing a compiler framework,
and I was wondering what kind of work, in AST rewrites I would need to
perform, or classes from the DLR object model I would need to use, in
order to support, what C# calls, a static type dynamic?  From what I
can tell of C#, it uses its own model to wrap some of the concepts
provided by the DLR, so I'm not exactly sure how to handle the
late-bound dispatch so that it's marshaled by the appropriate language
binder for a given object instance.  I could go deeper into how C#
does it, but I don't really like the idea of looking at the code that
was written by someone else (since the only way I can look at it is
through a disassembler), my own code rewritten by C#'s compiler is
fine, but the innards of what that code uses: no.

I understand the basic concept behind the DLR, but it's too complex to
go over with a fine tooth comb.  Search algorithms aren't
sophisticated enough to ask questions like this through google or bing
(especially on, largely intangible, intent in code), which is why I
ask here.  I originally asked Jeff Hardy
(http://jdhardy.blogspot.com/) for insight, and he suggested I look
here.

Any insight anyone here can provide into this is appreciated.

Thanks,

-Allen [Alexander Morou] Copeland Jr.