[IronPython] Working towards IronPython 2.7 RTM

Richard Nienaber rjnienaber at gmail.com
Thu Jan 20 22:56:45 CET 2011

> I've been thinking about what we need to do to get IronPython 2.7 to
> RTM status, and the biggest stumbling block I have is that I don't
> really know what people think of Beta 1

I'm just throwing out ideas here:

   - A suggestion would be to compare IronPython 2.7 release with the
   feature set of CPython 2.7. At the minimum I would expect the same language
   feature unit tests to pass.
   - For feedback, would it be possible to contact users of IronPython
   directly?

> What do people need to get started contributing? Would a list of
> "easy" bugs help? Is anyone not comfortable coding interested in doing
> documentation? What about working on triaging bugs - much of which is
> just writing/running test cases and determining if the bug even still
> exists? Would having a bug sprint day/weekend/week interest anyone?
> Any other ideas?

Any of these suggestions could appeal to someone and would be useful to the
project, it's just a matter of giving someone the wherewithal to contribute
while they have the inclination. What I've seen on the VLC
wiki<http://wiki.videolan.org/Developers_Corner>is a Developer's
corner with Mini/Janitorial project sections that list
several ideas. When it comes to writing documentation the number 2 priority
(behind a CI server running the unit tests) is getting control of the
ironpython.net website (or at least the domain). The impression I have is
that we currently don't have access to it so we can't change any of the
content. This makes it difficult for someone to easily contribute to the
documentation. My suggestion is that we convert the documentation that we do
have to something like a wiki. If we could use
ironpython.info<http://www.ironpython.info/index.php/Main_Page> for
that purpose that would be great but I suspect that's not what it's intended
for.

The other part of getting control of the website is:

   - Synchronising the content with what is shown on Codeplex (correct
   updates, point to the right source control)
   - Updating the news on the site to show some activity.

>From a hey-we're-still-around-and-active point of view, I regard this as
quite important.

> The big problem is that we don't have any CI infrastructure set up to
> run the tests and make we haven't broken anything. Honestly, I don't
> know what we're going to about that.

I'll volunteer myself for following up on the CodeBetter TeamCity
suggestion. Failing that (or in addition) Brian's suggestion of running a
build slave sounds like a good option.

Richard