[IronPython] Running tests without VS Pro - any way to make it work?

Jeff Hardy jdhardy at gmail.com
Sun Jan 23 22:23:24 CET 2011

On Sun, Jan 23, 2011 at 2:05 PM, Richard Nienaber <rjnienaber at gmail.com> wrote:
>> How about distributing precompiled dll's for the testing pieces that are
>> absent
>>
>> on VS 2010 Express (SHarpDevel) installs?
>
> I think this would be a good idea. If we ever plan on getting the unit tests
> running on the continuous integration server, it's unlikely to have a full
> Visual Studio installation.

I think the build for that actually registers a COM component globally
- which means it would probably have to be disabled on a CI server
anyway.

I *think* all the build should need is the Windows SDK, but I'm not
sure what changes would be needed to make it work with that (it should
just be changes to the build scripts). It would be nice to have the
builds always use the C++ compiler from the SDK Visual C++ isn't
required at all. Building the installer will still require the HTML
Help Compiler and WiX as well.

I opened http://ironpython.codeplex.com/workitem/30024 to track making
the build work on the SDK.

- Jeff