[IronPython] Sho

Sumit Basu sumitb at microsoft.com
Wed Jan 26 20:51:25 CET 2011

Thanks for the shout-out, Curt!  This is a pretty proud day for us; we've been working on Sho for five years and are finally releasing it to the public :)  The official web site is http://research.microsoft.com/sho

The license allows for use non-commercial purposes, which includes academic, personal, and internal use by a commercial entity.  You can read the whole license here<http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/downloads/bc38771b-dc48-475b-8d18-7fe87e1bc2a1/Sho%20License%20Agreement%20(2010-11-03)%20FINAL.rtf> , but I've copied one bit below which I think might help explain about use by commercial entities:

"You may use, copy, reproduce, and distribute this Software for any non-commercial purpose, subject to the restrictions in this Agreement. Some purposes which can be non-commercial are teaching, academic research, public demonstrations and personal experimentation. For clarity, internal use by a commercial entity is considered a non-commercial purpose and is permitted under this Agreement."

In other words, commercial entities can use Sho internally, but can't ship the bits externally for commercial purposes (more detail on what this means exactly and other aspects in the license itself).

-Sumit