[Ironpython-users] Microsoft.VisualStudio.Project namespace

Dino Viehland dinov at microsoft.com
Thu Jul 14 21:13:54 CEST 2011

Cameron wrote:
> Is there a technical reason why the Microsoft.VisualStudio.Project
> namespace isn't compiled into its own assembly? Looking at the source code,
> I noticed there is a
> Tools\IronStudio\IronStudio\VisualStudio\Project\Microsoft.VisualStudio.Pr
> oject.csproj,
> but instead of getting compiled into
> Microsoft.VisualStudio.Project.dll, it gets compiled into IronStudio.dll.
>
> I was hoping to use the Micorosft.VisualStudio.Project namespace under the
> Apache license rather than the MsPL license provided by
> http://mpfproj10.codeplex.com/SourceControl/list/changesets .
> mpfproj10 was last changed in May 2010. That namespace was committed to
> this project on October 2010 and has remained unchanged.

IpyTools has made some pretty significant extensions to MPFProj (all of the
project related classes starting w/ Common) and I think some of those extensions
involve overriding various internal methods which couldn't be overridden if
we were in a different assembly.  We also implemented other features (such as
object browser support) and wanted to be able to share that between IronRuby
and IronPython.

If you want to take the IpyTools (or PTVS http://pytools.codeplex.com which is
even more recent and has more fixes, is still licensed under Apache, but again
moves what assemblies this stuff is in) source but want to get something MPFProj
like I would suggest diffing the two, keeping the IpyTools/PTVS versions of the
source files, and keep the MPFProj .csproj file.  You'll also get a bunch of MPFProj
bug fixes for various MPFProj10 bugs this way.