[Ironpython-users] Q: Protecting my source in an ASP.NET IronPython application possible?

Jeff Hardy jdhardy at gmail.com
Wed Jul 20 17:26:12 CEST 2011

On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 7:14 AM, Jimmy Schementi <jschementi at gmail.com> wrote:
> By the way, you're correct that Microsoft.Scripting.AspNet doesn't support loading code-behind from DLLs produced from clr.CompileModules. If anyone really wants this, patches are welcome: https://github.com/IronLanguages/main/tree/master/Hosts/MerlinWeb

But it does support importing modules compiled with pyc, right?

In that case, Bernd, put all of your business logic in a separate set
of Python files (not code-behind) and compile those with pyc. Then,
from your code-behind files you can clr.AddReference() and import your
compiled code. This won't protect the code behind files, but the
code-behind should be very small files that just call into your
compiled code and thus don't really need to be obfuscated.

This also has the advantage of decoupling your business logic from the
web pages, making it easier to maintain and test.

- Jeff