[Ironpython-users] Compiling IronPython for .NET 2.0

Jeff Hardy jdhardy at gmail.com
Wed Jul 27 18:32:33 CEST 2011

On Wed, Jul 27, 2011 at 9:01 AM, Vernon Cole <vernondcole at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am using this as a renewal of my request/suggestion that we revisit
> the decision to not supply a .NET 2.0 version of IronPython 2.7.

I'm considering doing a zip-only release of 2.7.1 for .NET 2 for the
reasons that you give. I need to fix the generation of the .zip
packages anyway.

>  The current shipping version of Ubuntu has the .NET 2.0 compatible
> version of MONO, and cannot easily be upgraded.  It cannot be used to
> build IronPython, so users are under the necessity to cross-compile
> using another OS, then copy the result to their Ubuntu systems.  (This
> also blocks the Ubuntu maintainers from releasing a current version of
> IronPython -- since their rules require that release packages be built
> on the release platform -- so the built-in software installer loads on
> obsolete IPy.)

More interesting, though would be to know what doesn't compile on Mono
2.6 (which is the Ubuntu version, right?) and see if we could change
that. IronPython runs on 2.6 as long as it's compiled on Windows,
right?

If you can do the work to get it to compile, or at least provide
compile logs, then I'll consider it a blocker for 2.7.1. If it's a
problem with 2.6's xbuild, though, then we may be SOL.

> Is my point getting across?

Yeah. It's not that we're completely Windows-centric (you may have
noticed a few Mac-related commits lately), but that Ubuntu is just so
far behind (something I honestly never thought I'd say) in the Mono
department. IronPython works great on Mono 2.10. :)

- Jeff