[Ironpython-users] Compiling IronPython for .NET 2.0

Doug Blank doug.blank at gmail.com
Thu Jul 28 09:44:51 CEST 2011

On Thu, Jul 28, 2011 at 3:07 AM, Markus Schaber
<m.schaber at 3s-software.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> [Compiling IPy 2.7 for a pure .NET 2.0]
>
> I did try to patch some of the problems
>
> git at github.com:markusschaber/IronLanguages.git (2.7-maint branch)
>
> Now I have about 270 problems mostly relating to extension methods,
> maybe I will find enough time to fix some of them this evening.
>
> Is it even worth the effort, given that our own use case seems to vanish
> soon?
>
> How far is Ubuntu behind? Can they cope with the .NET 3.0 / 3.5 features
> used in IronPython?

IronPython 2.7 runs fine on Mono 2.6.7 (which Ubuntu 11.04 comes with)
when compiled with the v2 target. It's just that Mono 2.6.7 can't
compile the same code.

I just tried the latest trunk:

% git clone git://github.com/IronLanguages/main.git
% cd main/Solutions
% xbuild IronPython.Mono.sln /p:Configuration="v2Release"

And looks like most everything works, with some issues:

Modules/_ast.cs(304,131): error CS0246: The type or namespace name
`Complex' could not be found. Are you missing a using directive or an
assembly reference?
Runtime/PythonOptions.cs(27,6): error CS3021:
`IronPython.PythonDivisionOptions' does not need a CLSCompliant
attribute because the assembly is not marked as CLS-compliant

It was rumored that Ubuntu might be getting a more recent Mono soon,
but it would still be nice to clean this up a bit. Is v2Release really
v3.5Release?

-Doug