[Ironpython-users] Compiling IronPython for .NET 2.0

Jeff Hardy jdhardy at gmail.com
Thu Jul 28 17:57:46 CEST 2011

On Thu, Jul 28, 2011 at 6:40 AM, Jimmy Schementi <jschementi at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm a little confused about the issues, as with this simple patch:
> https://gist.github.com/1111557
>
> I'm able to build IronPython (using IronPython.Mono.sln as that still
> has v2Debug build configurations):
> msbuild Solutions\IronPython.Mono.sln /p:Configuration=v2Debug
>
> And run it, showing it's using .NET 2.0:
> D:\iron-main>bin\v2Debug\ipy.exe -V
> IronPython 3.0 3.0.0.0 on .NET 2.0.50727.5446
>
> How are you seeing issues with extension methods and IStrongBox?

The "v2" configurations actually target .NET 3.5. You'll have to edit
the .csproj file and change TargetFrameworkVersion to 2.0 to see how
it really builds. IStrongBox (and extension methods) were added in
3.5* and Markus wants to target pure .NET 2 (well, SP1, since that's
what IP 2.6 required). However, IP 2.6 had a workaround
(Microsoft.Scripting.ExtensionMethodAttribute) that allowed EM's to
work as long as you used the newer compiler, so I'm not sure why
that's now broken.

I wasn't planning on supporting < 3.5 in 2.7, but if someone provides
the patches, it certainly bears consideration.

I don't know why Markus' clients can't/won't upgrade to 3.5, but I'm
sure they're not good reasons. :)

- Jeff

* Remember that 3.5 runs on the .NET 2 CLR - whoever was responsible
for *that* numbering decision should be tarred and feathered.