[IronPython] Moving forward on 2.7.1

Zachary Gramana zgramana at pottsconsultinggroup.com
Fri Jun 10 17:02:41 CEST 2011

I hesitate to say anything as I am someone who just started lurking in
the periphery, but on the off chance that others might agree, I'm
throwing in my $0.02 USD:

There are some big Python applications (e.g. Mercurial) that are going
to remain on 2.7 for some time. There are important modules that are
still missing (bz2), or are incomplete (_winreg), that create
compatibility barriers.  It would also be nice to have sockets moved to
the socket.py/_socket.cs model (similar to how ssl has been implemented)
to support apps that monkey patch that module.

I know the community is limited in resources, but I would hope that 2.7
not be abandoned too quickly. I would happily volunteer to own the
maintenance of 2.7, but I am far too early in the learning curve to be
of any practical use.  That said, I'm happy to help on items where I am
familiar with that part of the codebase, or where an experienced
contributor can give me some mentoring. For example, I'm interested in
helping to implement the bz2 module using ic#code's #zip lib
(http://www.icsharpcode.net/OpenSource/SharpZipLib/), but would
definitely need some mentoring along the way.