[Ironpython-users] IronPython 2.7.1 Beta coming this weekend

Markus Schaber m.schaber at 3s-software.com
Tue Jun 21 07:50:02 CEST 2011

Hi, Jeff,

> Von: Jeff Hardy [mailto:jdhardy at gmail.com]
> On Sun, Jun 19, 2011 at 11:07 PM, Markus Schaber <m.schaber at 3s-
> software.com> wrote:
> > Are there no 3rd-party applications which embed and install
IronPython
> > with their own installer?
> >
> > Being afraid of such scenarios was the main reason why we build
> > IronPython on our own (with changed assembly name and signing key)
and
> > install that customized version with our CoDeSys installer.
>
> Yes, but I think everyone chooses the same path you do
(rebuild/resign).
> At least, I'm pretty sure that's what Resolver One does

Ok, I see. And I thought what we do is the exception, not the rule. :-)

> (I don't know of any other apps ... maybe we need a "Who's Using?"
page).

I think this could not hurt....

> The official installer is downgrade-proof, so other apps should just
be
> using that; if anyone else unconditionally puts the IronPython files
in
> the GAC, I'm not sure there's much we can do about it, sadly.
> Polite requests and public shaming is about it.

The question is whether we could at least detect this case. But as we
use custom-built dlls for now, we can ignore that issue.

> For embedding, I would recommend you continue what you're doing - it's
> just just straight-up safer. It's a shame zipimport doesn't work; we
could
> cut the deployed size of the stdlib down significantly.

Hmm. Chould zipimport be made possible using the PAL (HAL?)
functionality of the DLR?

> > (The other reason was some suspected collision between the versions
> > compiled for .NET 2.0 and 4.0. We wanted to avoid problems if users
> > install their own IronPython versions. Nowadays, I'm convinced that
> > this problem only arises if you compile an application for .net 4.x
> > which references an IronPython dll compiled for .NET 2.x.
>
> Different signing keys for .NET 2 and .NET 4 would solve that. Since
we
> don't build for .NET 2 anymore it shouldn't be an issue, right?

Yes. But our first 2 releases did ship with IronPython 2.6, we want to
update to 2.7 in the next release, and to 3.x as soon as possible. (The
earlier we update, the smaller the user base which has compatibility
problems with their scripts. :-)

Regards
Markus