[IronPython] IronPython 2.7.1 & 3.x Development

Jeff Hardy jdhardy at gmail.com
Mon Mar 14 07:24:38 CET 2011

With the 2.7 out the door, it's time to start thinking about 3.x. I've
created a ipy-2.7-maint branch for continued 2.7 work (and it needs
some), and any 3.x work will go on master. Any 2.7 fixes that also go
into 3.x (and really, most of them should) go into the 2.7 branch
*first*, and then be cherry-picked into master (yes, I'll write some
docs on that). This is to (hopefully) prevent any 3.x features from
being inadvertently backported to 2.7.

I'll pull in the 3.2 standard lib and tests very soon, and then work
on the parser/compiler changes and such can start. I'm not expecting
to have a reasonable 3.x release until fall at the earliest, although
I would like to get nightly builds set up so people can still try it
easily in the meantime.

For now, the 3.x series will have the 3.0 version number; whether it
becomes 3.2 or 3.3 remains to be seen.

There's still a lot of stuff that should go into 2.7.1 - bug fixes,
new modules, etc. Ideally I'd like to see that released in 6-8 weeks,
which puts it around the beginning of May, and then on basically the
same cycle as long as there's fixes to go in.

- Jeff