[IronPython] numpy / IronClad?

Jason McCampbell jmccampbell at enthought.com
Mon Mar 14 19:28:22 CET 2011

> As IronPython runs under many different operating systems now, it
> would be useful to know what the dependencies are for numpy and scipy:
>
> - is Windows a requirement?

- does it work under Mono?

No, not directly but practically for the short-term Windows is requires for
the SciPy piece.  NumPy is quite cross-platform and uses the very
cross-platform NumPy core (C code), a little bit of C++ code, and a bunch of
C#.  I haven't tried building it on Mono recently but aside from getting the
builds to work there shouldn't be a lot of work.  It does require .NET 4 so
likely Mono 2.10 will be a requirement.

SciPy is more restrictive because it relies on C++/CLI which is not
supported on Mono.  The reason is that we are using the Cython tool to
generate interfaces for CPython and IronPython from a single source.
 Unfortunately because Cython allows users to import arbitrary C header
files, C++/CLI was the only practical option for the time being.

- can IronRuby etc take advantage of these libraries?

Probably, at least some of the functionality.  The interface is straight
.NET so C#, F# and other languages can make use of the NumPy ndarray object
and other objects.  The biggest limitation is that a fair amount of the
functionality is implemented in Python so it is necessary to evaluate Python
expressions to make use of it.  This is straightforward from C# or F# and I
am assuming it can be done from IronRuby, but that's just a guess.

> I tried to run the build the process with xbuild rather than msbuild,
> but it looks like System.Numerics might not be implemented in Mono?

I was able to add a reference to System.Numerics and open it under Mono 2.10
and I thought it was part of 2.8 but I may be mistaken. Perhaps Mono is
selecting the wrong .NET runtime?

> Thanks!
>
> -Doug
>
> > On Tue, Mar 1, 2011 at 4:32 PM, Chad Brockman <chadbr at slb.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> Anyone know if the effort to port numpy to IronPython is still alive?
> >> Enthought / MS announced it last year?
> >> http://www.enthought.com/media/SciPyNumPyDotNet.pdf
> >>

> >> Anyone know if IronClad is still being developed?
> >>

> >> Thanks, Chad

> > --
> > Jason McCampbell
> > Enthought, Inc.