[IronPython] IronPython 2.7.1 & 3.x Development

Markus Schaber m.schaber at 3s-software.com
Tue Mar 15 10:16:26 CET 2011

Hi, Jeff,

Von: Jeff Hardy

> With the 2.7 out the door, it's time to start thinking about 3.x. I've
> created a ipy-2.7-maint branch for continued 2.7 work (and it needs
some),
> and any 3.x work will go on master. Any 2.7 fixes that also go into
3.x
> (and really, most of them should) go into the 2.7 branch *first*, and
then
> be cherry-picked into master (yes, I'll write some docs on that). This
is
> to (hopefully) prevent any 3.x features from being inadvertently
> backported to 2.7.

Your plans sound good for us.

But we're just releasing a product hosting IronPython 2.6.2, as we're
still bound to .NET 2.0 for some months, but our plans to upgrade to
.NET 4.0 are on the way. So we are interested in smooth migration paths
for our customers.

Will it be possible to integrate / host both python 2.x (2.7.x) and 3.x
in the same application?

And is there some mechanism to auto-recognize whether a Script is python
2.x or 3.x syntax? Maybe some "from __future__ import Python3" or
something?

If there's work needed in that area, maybe I can convince my seniors
that we contribute.

(I used to work a lot with Python and contribute to free projects in
some of my former working places...)

Best regards

Markus Schaber

--
We software Automation.

3S-Smart Software Solutions GmbH
Markus Schaber | Developer
Memminger Str. 151 | 87439 Kempten | Germany | Tel. +49-831-54031-0 |
Fax +49-831-54031-50

Email: m.schaber at 3s-software.com | Web: http://www.3s-software.com
CoDeSys internet forum: http://forum.3s-software.com
Download CoDeSys sample projects:
http://www.3s-software.com/index.shtml?sample_projects

Managing Directors: Dipl.Inf. Dieter Hess, Dipl.Inf. Manfred Werner |
Trade register: Kempten HRB 6186 | Tax ID No.: DE 167014915