[IronPython] Newbie InterOp-related question

Tilley, Paul Paul.Tilley at Honeywell.com
Wed Mar 30 01:09:41 CEST 2011

I've just started using IronPython but have hit a bit of a roadblock.
This may also be caused by inadequate .Net knowledge.

In C# I can call a COM object (where the COM method is going to fill in
the parameter) like so:

object blah;

myComObj.Foo(out blah);

If for example the COM method returns an array of strings ( with the
parameter VARIANT* in COM method signature) then in C# I get an object[]
back which with appropriate massaging I can process.

How would I declare the variable in Python if I want access the returned
contents correctly? Knowing I was to get an array back I naively tried:

blah = []

The call is made correctly - I can see the COM object is filling out the
return parameter OK but blah remains an empty list.

Any insights on what I should be doing more than welcome,