[IronPython] Python Tools for Visual Studio now accepting contributions

Dino Viehland dinov at microsoft.com
Wed May 11 22:39:26 CEST 2011

Keith wrote:
> Please forgive my ignorance on this matter (I don't currently use any of the
> integrated VS functionality - have been working with embedding the runtime
> in an existing application), but what is the difference between "IronPython
> Tools" and "Python Tools for Visual Studio"? I was under the impression this
> was the same thing?

IronPython Tools was the initial version that was undergoing development while
Microsoft was still funding IronPython development.  After we released IronPython
back to the community I switched to a new team and started working on PTVS (using
the IronPython Tools code base as a starting point).  PTVS keeps all of the functionality
that IpyTools had but adds:
	Support for CPython (and other Python implementations like Jython and PyPy)
	Support for multiple versions of Python (2.5 - 3.2)
	A Python specific debugger (instead of just using the .NET debugger)
	Profiling of CPython apps
	MPI projects and debugging

There's probably some other new features that I'm missing.  So it's basically a more
general and better version of IpyTools but our core focus is on high performance
computing scenarios where you'd like to use Python - but we're also making sure
we just have a great Python development experience as well.