[IronPython] Cannot compile IronPythonTools

Raghavendra Chandrashekara raghavendra.chandrashekara at gmail.com
Thu May 12 02:12:53 CEST 2011

On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 9:00 PM, Dino Viehland <dinov at microsoft.com> wrote:

>  You’ll need to install the VS SDK (
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=47305cf4-2bea-43c0-91cd-1b853602dcc5&displaylang=en)
> in addition to Visual Studio.
>

> The reason for that is because we use the SDK’s project types to get things
> like a good debugging experience in the experimental hive (you can set
> IronPythonTools as your setup project and have it launch VS with F5 under
> the experimental hive.  When building the extension automatically gets
> deployed to the experimental hive).

One more question, how do I debug the IronPython tools? I have created the
experimental hive using the command:

CreateExpInstance.exe /Reset /VSInstance=10.0 /RootSuffix=Exp

and then started the experimental instance of Visual Studio using:

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Common7\IDE\devenv.exe"
/RootSuffix Exp

This starts an Experimental Instance of Visual Studio which I can see in the
title bar. But when I set IronPythonTools as the startup project and press
F5 I get a message saying that "A project with an Output Type of Class
Library" cannot be started directly.

Thanks,

Raj