[IronPython] socket, _socket, and socket.py

Dino Viehland dinov at microsoft.com
Wed May 18 00:06:47 CEST 2011

There is actually more of a story to this though - Cpython's socket.py relies upon reference counting for handling dup.  See this comment from socket.py:

# Wrapper around platform socket objects. This implements
# a platform-independent dup() functionality. The
# implementation currently relies on reference counting
# to close the underlying socket object.
class _socketobject(object):

Because IronPython doesn't have a reference counting GC we cannot simply use socket.py.  So someone would need to patch both IronPython and socket.py so this would work.  For the record it looks like Jython also has a custom socket.py.