[Ironpython-users] Options for debugger for DLR languages on Mono

Doug Blank doug.blank at gmail.com
Sat Sep 24 19:47:46 CEST 2011

Use of sys.settrace (especially with the bdb.py) makes the Python
debugger really easy. However, I'm having one little issue: I want to
set the trace from outside the running code. Currently, I'm running a
Python file like this:

source = engine.CreateScriptSourceFromFile(filename)
source.Compile()
source.Execute(manager.scope)

I have a bdb-based debugger that works it I put it the the file, but I
can't figure out how to inject it into the Execution. For example, if
I have in the file:

d.set_trace()
x = 1

I can trace that. But if I take out the "d.set_trace()" and execute it
any other way in the same scope, it doesn't work.

How can I get code to run as it it were in the file? Any ideas appreciated!

-Doug