[Ironpython-users] ctypes module in version 2.7.2 can't create Union values

mva at sysfault.org mva at sysfault.org
Fri Apr 20 15:45:34 CEST 2012

Dear all,

on a 64-bit Windows 7 machine (other platforms untested), I find
myself unable to create a
ctypes.Union-based class wrapper for a C type.
Regardless of what kind of Union I create, it always ends up with a
"object reference not set to an instance of an object" error from
.NET. Find below a brief
command line example including the necessary .NET and IronPython information.

IronPython 2.7.2.1 (2.7.0.40) on .NET 4.0.30319.261 (32-bit)
>>> from ctypes import *
>>> class foo(Union):
...     _fields_ = [("t", c_uint), ("b", c_float)]
>>> bar = foo()
>>> bar.t = 1
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
SystemError: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

I'm not subscribed to this list, in case you require more information
please keep me in CC.

Regards
Marcus