[Ironpython-users] LightweightScopes and scopes in general

Igor Brejc igor.brejc at gmail.com
Sun Feb 12 20:03:53 CET 2012

On Sun, Feb 12, 2012 at 6:44 PM, Keith Rome <rome at wintellect.com> wrote:

> I am fairly sure it is no different than when using disposable objects in
> any .NET application. If you don’t call IDisposable.Dispose() directly (or
> via the “using()” statement), then those objects will be disposed via their
> finalizer when the GC collects them. This happens automatically and fairly
> frequently in a .NET application. Those objects will be cleaned up for you
> – assuming you really aren’t holding references to them. If you find they
> never seem to go away, then I highly recommend attaching a memory profiler
> (SciTech’s MemProfiler is superb) and exploring the heap graph for the root
> paths that are responsible for pinning them.

I'm not a GC expert, but if I understand correctly, GC doesn't really call
Dispose(), you have to implement the finalizer explicitly to do this (
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/45036/will-the-garbage-collector-call-idisposable-dispose-for-me).
Since (from my experience) most user-written disposable classes don't
implement finalizers, this means that if you don't call Dispose()
explicitly or using "using", the resource won't be released until the
process stops. Even FxCop doesn't suggest writing finalizers, it just
recommends using the proper Disposable pattern (
http://geekswithblogs.net/sdorman/archive/2010/05/25/the-dispose-pattern-and-fxcop-warnings.aspx
).

On the other hand, I notice .NET Framework classes do seem to implement
finalizers (FileStream, Image...):
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.io.filestream.finalize.aspx

> ****
>
> ** **
>
> Take note that your ScriptScope itself is holding references to all of the
> objects contained within. You will need to discard all references to that
> ScriptScope if you want it (and its contents) to be collected by the
> runtime.

Good suggestion, thanks.

> ****
>
> ** **
>
> If you conclude that they truly are eligible for collection, and you just
> can’t wait for the system to clean up on its own, then you can always call
> GC.Collect() directly. I really don’t recommend that kind of brute force
> approach though. There are very few situations where calling GC.Collect()
> is really the right thing to do.****
>
> **

I agree.