[Ironpython-users] IronPython Mobile Support

Markus Schaber m.schaber at 3s-software.com
Tue Feb 14 09:23:06 CET 2012

Hi,

Von: Jeff Hardy

> The latest version of IronPython includes support for Android and Window Phone 7.5 devices. These are some rough notes for anyone who's interested:

> Android
> ----------
> Supports full code generation and almost every feature.

Great news, thanks!

> WP7
> -----
> Does not support creating types at runtime. The biggest limitation is that you cannot inherit from .NET types (except System.Object). A lot of platform pieces are also missing, like sockets.

Something like this was to be expected.

> iOS
> ---
> Not supported - MonoTouch supports NO runtime code generation at all (not even DynamicMethod). I need to look deeper to see if it's possible to run without it.

The problem with the runtime code generation is a legal restriction by Apple, AFAIR.

I just remembered that there was a pure interpreter mode in ancient times, but AFAIR, interpreters are also forbidden by the same license restrictions.

Maybe a form of precompiled scripts could run there? But I don't know whether it's worth the effort...

> Obviously, the limitations need to be spelled out better. My inclination right now is to label the mobile platforms as "preview only" for 2.7.2 and improve them for 2.7.3 (due in June). Those who know these platforms better than I do, especially Android and WP7, should still give them a spin and open issues for any difficulties that they find.

> And, as always, patches are welcome.

- Jeff

Best regards

Markus Schaber
--
We software Automation.

3S-Smart Software Solutions GmbH
Markus Schaber | Developer
Memminger Str. 151 | 87439 Kempten | Germany | Tel. +49-831-54031-0 | Fax +49-831-54031-50

Email: m.schaber at 3s-software.com | Web: http://www.3s-software.com
CoDeSys internet forum: http://forum.3s-software.com
Download CoDeSys sample projects: http://www.3s-software.com/index.shtml?sample_projects

Managing Directors: Dipl.Inf. Dieter Hess, Dipl.Inf. Manfred Werner | Trade register: Kempten HRB 6186 | Tax ID No.: DE 167014915