[Ironpython-users] pyc port to IKVM.Reflection

Dino Viehland dinov at microsoft.com
Fri Jul 6 21:34:13 CEST 2012

Jeff wrote:
> Android has some limitations around what you can inherit from. It requires
> some AOT steps to inherit from Java classes ... which includes all of the UI
> widgets. I was hand-crafting the wrappers that just forward to Python code,
> but I figured there had to be an easier way, and pyc.py (or similar) seems like
> the ticket.

Not quite sure how this fits in with Java and Android, but throwing those out
of the picture (let's say we're on the Windows Phone 7 and we don't have access
to RefEmit), this too can actually potentially be handled by __clrtype__ :)

You'll just need to run NewTypeMaker in a mode where it saves to disk (we
can already do this I believe for debug builds where we want to verify the
IL is legal).  Then you just need a metaclass which goes off to the
pre-compiled assembly and loads it rather than generating it.

I can definitely see the desire to bring it all together in one tool though as
there's now lots of moving parts.