[Ironpython-users] pyc port to IKVM.Reflection

Dino Viehland dinov at microsoft.com
Sat Jul 7 04:34:12 CEST 2012

Jeff wrote:
> The full explanation is at
> http://docs.xamarin.com/android/about/limitations and
> http://docs.xamarin.com/android/advanced_topics/architecture/android_ca
> llable_wrappers.
> It's similar to .NET's CCW support.

Oh, awesome, and of course!  Somehow I was just totally missing the context there.

> > You'll just need to run NewTypeMaker in a mode where it saves to disk
> > (we can already do this I believe for debug builds where we want to
> > verify the IL is legal).  Then you just need a metaclass which goes
> > off to the pre-compiled assembly and loads it rather than generating it.
> >
> > I can definitely see the desire to bring it all together in one tool
> > though as there's now lots of moving parts.
>
> Yeah, -X:SaveAssemblies. Super useful, but it requires running the code, and
> I'd like to avoid that when generating the wrappers if possible. With some
> annotations (and maybe some assumptions), all of the information needed
> can be in the source code.

There's also clr.CompileSubclassTypes which doesn't require running the code
but it has the problem which started this thread - it's still based upon Reflection
instead of IKVM which has all the cool multi-targetting capabilities.