[Ironpython-users] WP7 & Silverlight Support in IronPython

Jeff Hardy jdhardy at gmail.com
Sat Jun 30 06:34:13 CEST 2012

Throwing some thoughts out there on future platform support:

Given that Windows Phone 7 is basically dead in the water at this
point, it doesn't seem worth it to support it. I'm going to remove the
existing WP7 binaries, which don't work anyway, from 2.7.3. If anyone
is interested in supporting it I'll certainly consider patches, but I
won't be adding it back to the distributions without a fully committed
maintainer.

Silverlight is also basically dead, but still has some users, so I
have no intention of removing it yet. However, I would like to know if
Silverlight 4 is still required - I'll leave it in for 2.7.3, but I'd
like to remove it in 2.7.4, if Silverlight 4 has mostly been replaced
by SL 5. That said, I would like someone to take over maintaining
Silverlight; there really isn't any testing of it, so I'm basically
taking it on faith that it still works, and I don't like that. If no
one is willing to maintain it, I'm going to consider removing it
entirely from 2.7.5.

None of this is set in stone. I just want to get some discussion going.

- Jeff