[Ironpython-users] Modifying ASTs when embedding IronPython

Dino Viehland dinov at microsoft.com
Thu Mar 1 22:58:15 CET 2012

The ASTs are generally immutable so to re-write you'll create a copy of the AST and any parent nodes.  The ExpressionVisitor class makes this easy in that you can override VisitExtension method and re-write any Python nodes you care about there.  You return a modified node somewhere within the tree and then the rest of the tree will be re-written for you and you get it back out after the visitor completes.

Overall I'd say you might be able to make this work, but you might also hit a wall and need to tweak Ipy a little bit so you can actually compile the re-written code in a useful way.  I'm thinking you might start running into internal APIs when you start trying to create a ScriptCode or compile it, but I'm not 100% certain.