[Ironpython-users] Issue tracking

Jeff Hardy jdhardy at gmail.com
Sat Mar 10 02:04:42 CET 2012

On Thu, Mar 8, 2012 at 8:51 PM, Cesar Mello <cmello at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Please I would like to know the process for issue tracking. Some doubts:
>
> 1) Confirm the official issue tracker
> is http://ironpython.codeplex.com/workitem/list/basic and not github;

Yep. It has all of the history, and I actually prefer it to the github
one, although it has it's frustrating points.

> 2) Who assigns issues/how/when;

Generally they don't get assigned; nobody has any real authority (a
few people have all of the passwords, but that's it). If you have
write access to the bug tracker, you can assign them to yourself.

Anyone who wants write access to the tracker just has to ask; unless
there's a good reason not to you'll get it.

> 3) Who changes status to Resolved and when;

There isn't a Resolved; there is Fixed and closed, though.

Whoever commits the fix should set the bug to Fixed. If you have
commit access, you also have issue tracker access. If it's a pull
request whoever merges it should also 'Fixed' the bug.

> 4) How issues are validated;

If there's an easy repro attached, someone with tracker access can
check it and set it to Active. If you don't have access, feel free to
check it anyway and leave a comment. Do this enough times and you'll
get write access without even asking :)

> 5) Who changes status to Fixed.

I covered this above, but it's a good spot to mention Closed. Bugs get
Closed for two reason: not a valid bug, or the fix has already been
released.

Basically, good bugs go: Proposed -> (someone validates) -> Actives ->
(someone fixes) -> Fixed -> (release made) -> Closed.

> For example the issue I registered
> at http://ironpython.codeplex.com/workitem/32342 seems to be OK; at the
> company I work, issues must be validated by someone who did not work in the
> fix; so who should test and approve the fix?

We're not that strict, mainly due to lack of manpower. If you're not
sure about a fix, do a pull request; it'll get reviewed that way. I
also review all recent commits periodically just to make sure quality
stays high. I have no problem with one person opening an issue, making
the fix, committing, and marking Fixed. If someone have commit access,
I trust them to be responsible.

> 6) It seems the integration of issue tracking and commits and builds is done
> through comments "fix nnnn";

Yep, it's manual. That would be one advantage to switching to the
github issue tracker, but it's not worth work required to get there.

> Thank you a lot for the attention. If my English seems acceptable and there
> is interest I volunteer to summarize these things and make it visible to
> newcomers like me.

Your english is better than some native speakers that I know, so feel
free to start a page on the github wiki; everyone should be able to
edit it.

> Thank you. Best regards!

No, thank you for your interest. I always want to see more people helping out.

- Jeff