[Ironpython-users] IronPython hosting - providing syntaxhighlighting (and intellisense?!) to customers

Nick Aschberger nicka at Vipac.com.au
Tue Mar 13 00:07:12 CET 2012

Thanks! I'll look into it.

Cheers

Nick

From: Keith Rome [mailto:rome at Wintellect.com]
Sent: Tuesday, 13 March 2012 2:06 AM
To: Nick Aschberger; ironpython-users at python.org
Subject: RE: [Ironpython-users] IronPython hosting - providing
syntaxhighlighting (and intellisense?!) to customers

At risk of sounding like an advertisement, I strongly recommend the
ActiPro SyntaxEditor controls.

We have used the WPF and Silverlight versions with great success. It
supports all of the features you mention (syntax highlighting,
Intellisense, code completion scopes) and many more. They have a
functional demo application with source code that exhibits all of those
features.

Performance is great (be sure to enable ambient background parsing). We
even have it wired up so that after parsing/lexing, we take the python
source and run it through the IronPython compiler using a custom
ErrorListener, which is used to collect compilation errors that are then
fed into the ParseData output. And since we have a ParseErrorTagger and
custom SquiggleTooltipProvider installed into the parser, we get those
nice red squiggles directly under compiler errors in the source text
itself, along with detailed tooltips.

Sorry if I get carried away, but it's extremely cool stuff! Our python
editing environment is very slick; while it does not quite have the
features of Visual Studio's editor, it comes really close (we even
support breakpoints and stepping)... and it fully embeds in our WPF /
Silverlight products.

Keith Rome

Senior Consultant and Architect

MCPD-EAD, MCSD, MCDBA, MCTS-WPF, MCTS-TFS, MCTS-WSS

Wintellect | 770.617.4016 | krome at wintellect.com
<mailto:rome at wintellect.com>

www.wintellect.com <http://www.wintellect.com/>