[Ironpython-users] Considering IronPython for a new project

Jeff Hardy jdhardy at gmail.com
Fri Mar 16 16:44:52 CET 2012

On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 2:29 AM,  <cold_fusion at fastmail.fm> wrote:
> I wasn't aware that MS bailed on the Irons (back at 2010) until a few
> days ago, this will probably hurt my arguments, let alone other chatter
> on the web saying that nobody uses these languages aside from the former
> teams at MS.

That's not true; I have a decent list of other users that I really
need to publish soon. Figure ~20 companies, a few open source
projects, etc.

> For now, the most compelling argument to use IPy over C# is convenience
> (not having to compile and distribute), although at the cost of few
> other people learning to use it.

More people learning Python is never bad a thing, in my books :)

> I know static compilation is over rated, but some think it’s very
> important, sadly I don’t remember being able to run
> PyChecker/PyLint/PyFlakes with IronPython, and since it’s going be using
> a lot of .net libraries I don’t see how I can use CPython to run those.

The Python static analysis tools should still give you decent
information, even when run under CPYthon - PyFlakes, at least,
shouldn't be tripped up by IronPython-specific code. Heck, if you
reimplemented the .NET BCL in Python, any IronPython code should just
work on CPython as well.

I'm not familiar with what pylint and pychecker do, so I can't comment on them.

> Lastly, I’m concerned about future support, again for what I’ve managed
> to gather in the last few days.

That's definitely an issue, but it's true of any open-source project
run entirely by volunteers. All I can say is I don't plan on going
anywhere for a while.

> Can anyone please enlighten me on any of my points?

Hopefully that helps a little. Sorry for taking so long to get back to
you; your message slipped by when it first came in.

- Jeff