[Ironpython-users] feedback on PEP 421

Jeff Hardy jdhardy at gmail.com
Mon May 7 00:20:18 CEST 2012

On Sun, May 6, 2012 at 12:05 PM, Eric Snow <ericsnowcurrently at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm looking for feedback on PEP 421: "Adding sys.implementation".  The
> idea came up in 2009 and garnered positive feedback, but didn't go
> anywhere.  I've revived it and am hoping to get it worked out in time
> for Python 3.3.

First off, I like it. It's long overdue, but better late than never.

> Any feedback would be very helpful, particularly with regard to the
> decision on the type of sys.implementation and the constraints on
> sys.implementation.version.  Thanks.

I'd strongly prefer the named-tuple approach, like version_info. The
metadata attribute being a dict is fine (although the PEP doesn't
actually call that out in "Required Values" section; I had to search
to find out if it was actually a dict). I have some stuff I want to
put in there already.

I'm not really sure there's much value in having sys.version_info and
sys.implementation.version be different, but I believe PyPy works that
way, so I have no objection to it. They'll be the same in IronPython,
though.

Thanks for pushing this through. I'll probably add it the day after
it's approved.

- Jeff