[Ironpython-users] feedback on PEP 421

Jeff Hardy jdhardy at gmail.com
Mon May 7 17:37:58 CEST 2012

On Mon, May 7, 2012 at 1:11 AM, Markus Schaber
<m.schaber at 3s-software.com> wrote:
> Hmm, maybe we could put the host/embedder info I suggested in the other mail there.

Yeah, and things like which which CLR version (3.5, 4.0),
implementation (MS, Mono), subset (Silverlight, MonoTouch, MonoDroid),
what host it's running under, etc. I was thinking of adding fields to
clr for that information anyway, but it can go here instead.

>> I'm not really sure there's much value in having sys.version_info and
>> sys.implementation.version be different, but I believe PyPy works that
>> way, so I have no objection to it. They'll be the same in IronPython,
>> though.
>
> Hmm. It would open the possibility of IronPython supporting both Python 2.7 and 3.X for some grace period...

That ... yikes. It already does support some (not much) stuff using
-X:Python30, but that introduces a bunch of if statements and makes
the code quite messy. There are other ways to do it, but a clean break
in a new branch seems preferable to me. Plus there's the issue of the
reorganized stdlib, which I'm not really sure how to cleanly solve. So
my preference is to work in a different branch to 3k support. I'd like
to do some work after 2.7.3 is released, but I'm not sure I'll get to
it.

- Jeff