[Ironpython-users] Debugging IronPython

David, Al Al.David at lsi.com
Thu May 31 16:04:12 CEST 2012

We're developing a C#, WPF, .NET application.  And the purpose of this application is to communicate with and control custom hardware (circuit boards) as well as instrumentation (oscilloscopes, power supplies, etc).

This application contains several panels/windows/screens.  And as part of this application, I need to implement another panel/window/screen for a scripting environment.  Ideally through this additional scripting panel/window/screen, the user will be able to write, run, as well as debug IronPython scripts.  And when I say debug, I am referring to having the ability to set breakpoints, view and modify variables, see the stack, etc, etc.

We've tried embedding SharpDevelop into our application but found this is not possible because SharpDevelop requires being the "main window".  And in my scenario, the "main window" is our application.

Is there any way at all to accomplish what I've stated above, and without a major coding effort?  If so, would you be able to refer us to any coding examples that may give us a jump start?

Thanks,
Al