[Ironpython-users] Hello IronPython and anyone using VST.net?

Jeff Hardy jdhardy at gmail.com
Wed Oct 3 07:51:09 CEST 2012

I don't know about using VST, but creating plugins with IronPython
isn't too bad, if a bit tedious.

The basic idea is that you create a C# plugin that hosts IronPython,
loads your Python code, and calls the necessary methods. This usually
looks something like (not VST-specific, obviously, but the general
pattern):

-- MyPlugin.cs
class MyPlugin : IPlugin {
  dynamic plugin;

  public MyPlugin() {
    this.engine = Python.CreateEngine();
    this.scope = this.engine.ExecuteFile('MyPlugin.py');
    this.plugin = this.scope.GetVariable("MyPlugin")();
  }

  public void Foo() {
    this.plugin.Foo();
  }

  public int Bar(int n) {
    return this.plugin.Bar(n);
  }
}

-- MyPlugin.py
class MyPlugin(object):
  def Foo(self):
    pass

  def Bar(self, n):
    return n + 1

There's a couple of pieces I left out but that's the gist of it. There
will be some improvements to make this much, much simpler in 2.7.4,
but I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for it - I'm thinking early
next year.

- Jeff