[Ironpython-users] Meta-Questions (Was: Commercial Support / Bugfixes for Ironpython)

Markus Schaber m.schaber at 3s-software.com
Wed Oct 24 17:09:48 CEST 2012

Hi, Jeff,

Von: Jeff Hardy [mailto:jdhardy at gmail.com]
> On Wed, Oct 24, 2012 at 12:34 AM, Markus Schaber <m.schaber at 3s-software.com> wrote:
> > Does this list prefer the "Internet"-style (Plain-Text, and the
> > replies interleaved with the quoted paragraphs), or "Outlook"-style
> > (HTML/RTF and TOFU)?
>
> Personally, I prefer plain-text, inline replies. The difference in
> readability between OSS lists that follow that style vs. MS lists where
> everyone uses Outlook are night and day. There is no official list policy,
> though.

I'll try to stick to that standard, then. :-)

> > When googling for "IronPython Mailing List", the first hit is
> > http://lists.ironpython.com/listinfo.cgi/users-ironpython.com - but
> > this list seems to be replaced by the new one from python.org since
> > 2011. While I like the fact that the old archives are still online,
> > I'd suggest that you add some explanation and link on that page (maybe
> > in the "About Users" part at the top) which points to the new list at
> > python.org.
>
> Good catch. The python.org list contains a complete copy of the archives
> as well. Looking at them, the message IDs are the same, so it should be
> possible to forward the old URLs as well. The old list server is run by
> Jim Hugunin, so I'll ping him and see what the options are.

Thanks!

> > And it seems that there is no form of commercial support or contracted
> > development available for IronPython and the DLR right now, correct?
>
> As far as I know, no. The people with the knowledge to maintain it all
> have full-time jobs. I would love it if one of the contributors was a
> contractor who could pick up jobs like that, but no such luck.

Maybe one of the companies currently employing one of those people would accept such contracts?

But it seems the only way to get our problem solved is me digging deep into the depths of IronPython and the DLR.

I don't fear that dragon itself, but we're just afraid that it will need to much time, to be measured in weeks or months instead of days.

Best regards

Markus Schaber
--
We software Automation.

3S-Smart Software Solutions GmbH
Markus Schaber | Developer
Memminger Str. 151 | 87439 Kempten | Germany | Tel. +49-831-54031-0 | Fax +49-831-54031-50

Email: m.schaber at 3s-software.com | Web: http://www.3s-software.com
CoDeSys internet forum: http://forum.3s-software.com
Download CoDeSys sample projects: http://www.3s-software.com/index.shtml?sample_projects

Managing Directors: Dipl.Inf. Dieter Hess, Dipl.Inf. Manfred Werner | Trade register: Kempten HRB 6186 | Tax ID No.: DE 167014915