[Ironpython-users] How to create a program to IronPython for Android?

Jeff Hardy jdhardy at gmail.com
Thu Jul 18 17:23:53 CEST 2013

On Wed, Jul 17, 2013 at 11:09 PM, Markus Schaber <m.schaber at codesys.com>wrote:

> Hi, Alex,
>
> Von: Tumanov Alex
> > Hi!
> > Set IronPython, has created several projects. Then, in a sub folder
> > accidentally discovered Platforms Android. I decided to try it. Did
> > the following:
> > 1. IronPythonApplication.py created a console application code:
> > print ('Hello world')
> > raw_input ("Press any key to exit")
> > 2. Did IronPythonApplication.exe using a batch file:
> > "c: \ Program Files \ IronPython 2.7 \ ipy.exe" "c: \ Program Files \
> > IronPython 2.7 \ Tools \ Scripts \ pyc.py" / target: exe / main: "d:
> > \ MyAndroid \ IronPythonApplication \ IronPythonApplication \
> > IronPythonApplication . py "
> > 3. Did on the SD card with Android 4.1 phone directory AndroidProg,
> > copied there all the files from the Android and created files and
> > IronPythonApplication.py IronPythonApplication.exe.
> > 4. He tried to run them and got a message that is not connected with
> > them none of the programs.
> > Tell me, please, how you can use IronPython to create programs for
> > Android.
>
> IronPython is a .NET application, so you will need an implementation of
> .NET for Android.
>
> The only one I know of is the one from Xamarin, based on Mono:
>
> http://xamarin.com/monoforandroid
>
> That said, I do not know whether the android port of IronPython is
> currently stable and/or supported by the developers.

It's neither, at the moment. It can be made to work for very simple things
if you're familiar with both IronPython and MonoAndroid, but it's not by
any means production ready. In particular, you can't build Android apps in
pure Python; you can embed the engine and use it to extend an existing app,
but I can't promise everything (or anything, for that matter) will work.
Plus, the assemblies in 2.7.3 are built against a very old version of
MonoAndroid that I don't think is compatible with the newer Xamarin.Android
libraries.

In short: I never should have put those in the 2.7.3 release, because
they're just not useful. 2.7.4 won't have them.

One of my big TODO items for IronPython 3 is to change that, but that's
still a year out.

- Jeff