[Ironpython-users] Item 34263 in 2.7.5?

Jeff Hardy jdhardy at gmail.com
Thu Apr 10 00:28:41 CEST 2014

On Wed, Apr 9, 2014 at 8:32 PM, Vernon D. Cole <vernondcole at gmail.com> wrote:
> I think that would be version 3.3 (or will it be 3.4?) which will be the
> next "major" release. (Since there will never be a version of Python 2
> higher than "2.7" all 2.x releases henceforth will be "point" releases.
>   Let me hasten to point out that, since the unicode vs string vs bytes
> issue in Python 3 is well defined, the transition to IronPython 3 ought to
> be painless.  Many of the incompatibilities between IronPython and CPython
> will just go away. Since we will skip ["3.0", "3.1", "3.2"] we will never
> have to remove the u"unicode string marker", which was the biggest pain in
> writing runs-on-either version code.  2.7 <-> 3.3 is easy.

Yeah, this change won't happen until IronPython 3. I'm also going to
take the opportunity to break from the convention of matching CPython
versions and just call it 3.0, even though it will have everything up
to 3.4 in it. PEP 421 (http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0421/) has
the mechanism to make this work.

And yes, my hope is that moving to 3 will be much less problematic for
IronPython than it is for CPython. Other than a few things (like
changing the default Frames setting) there shouldn't be too many
breaking changes.

- Jeff