[Ironpython-users] IronPython 3 Version Number (Was: Item 34263 in 2.7.5?)

Markus Schaber m.schaber at codesys.com
Fri Apr 11 12:40:21 CEST 2014

Hi,

Von: Jeff Hardy
> On Fri, Apr 11, 2014 at 11:02 AM, Olof Bjarnason <olof.bjarnason at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > OK, that sounds like a reasonable way to do it. Very nice that it is
> > automatically verifiable!
> >
> > But it opens more questions from me, sorry. I find this interesting :)
> >
> > So when an automatic test, that is determined to be a implementation
> > detail, fails - how does IronPython "skip" it? Is the actual test
> > suite specific for IronPython? I mean, is the unit tests in IronPython
> > a fork of CPythons test suite?
>
> Yes, since the test suite is part of the stdlib. Unittest supports an @skipIf
> decorator; we just use @skipIf(sys.platform == 'cli') (or occasionally wrap
> the function or part of the function in a similar
> if: statement).
>
> > Anyone know how many per cent of the CPython test suite that IronPython
> pass?
>
> Nope :) To be honest, for 2.7 it's a bit of a mess. There was just never a
> concerted effort to drive the number down, because there were so many issues.
> The difference in string types always meant we would ever reach 100%, and
> refcounting dependencies are tedious and un-fun to debug.
>
> For IronPython 3, we're going to work with the Jython and PyPy devs to make
> the test suite work for all of us (and the PyPy team has already done a tone
> of work here). More importantly, it's all going to get pushed upstream so
> that we can minimize the forking necessary.
> Combined with the new NUnitLite-based test runner in IronPython 3 (even
> running the tests for IronPython 2.7 is a chore) we should be able to get
> much closer to 100% coverage.
>
> This is probably the single biggest reason I'm excited about IP3 -
> compatibility is actually a realistic goal. There will always be some things
> that we can't match, but we should be able to get really close now.

One detail where we won't be 100% compatible is indexing into strings with Non-BMP
Characters, as .NET strings are still bound to 16 bit "char"s.

> Once 2.7.5 is done I'm going to spend some time getting the CI infrastructure
> up to par for 3.0 and making sure that tests are run on a regular basis. By
> making it easier to actually contribute I'm hoping to attract a few more
> people - understanding IronPython is hard enough without having to understand
> the Byzantine build/test system 2.7 has (OK, the build system is still
> complex - trying to target 8 different platforms is hard).

Can the new multitargeting support help here?

Best regards

Markus Schaber

CODESYS(r) a trademark of 3S-Smart Software Solutions GmbH

Inspiring Automation Solutions

3S-Smart Software Solutions GmbH
Dipl.-Inf. Markus Schaber | Product Development Core Technology
Memminger Str. 151 | 87439 Kempten | Germany
Tel. +49-831-54031-979 | Fax +49-831-54031-50

E-Mail: m.schaber at codesys.com | Web: http://www.codesys.com | CODESYS store: http://store.codesys.com
CODESYS forum: http://forum.codesys.com

Managing Directors: Dipl.Inf. Dieter Hess, Dipl.Inf. Manfred Werner | Trade register: Kempten HRB 6186 | Tax ID No.: DE 167014915