[Ironpython-users] WDB web debugger for IronPython

Kerray kerray.cz at gmail.com
Wed Dec 3 15:31:44 CET 2014

Hi Jeff,
I've opened the issue with IPV6_V6ONLY -
https://github.com/IronLanguages/main/issues/238
And I'll open one for the Tornado socket problem also.

Other than that, I can successfuly run
import wdb
w = wdb.set_trace()
in console and examine the contents of the resulting Wdb object (it seems
allright, I can print most attributes etc.) but it doesn't matter what code
I run after that - it fails with a variable assignment, with print etc.

The code object that gets passed at that moment into the
dis.findlinestarts() call which results in crash has these attributes:
co_argcount: 1
co_cellvars: ()
co_code:
co_consts: (None,)
co_filename: IronPython\27\Lib\threading.py
co_firstlineno: 774
co_flags: 0
co_freevars: ()
co_lnotab:
co_name: _exitfunc
co_names: ('_pickSomeNonDaemonThread', '__debug__')
co_nlocals: 2
co_stacksize:
co_varnames: ('self', 't')

When the VS debugger is attached, first it comes up with a "call stack is
not deep enough" exception
   at IronPython.Modules.SysModule._getframeImpl(CodeContext context, Int32
depth, List`1 stack) in
c:\Users\jmatysek\Documents\main\Languages\IronPython\IronPython\Modules\sys.cs:line
212
   at IronPython.Modules.SysModule._getframeImpl(CodeContext context, Int32
depth) in
c:\Users\jmatysek\Documents\main\Languages\IronPython\IronPython\Modules\sys.cs:line
183
   at
Microsoft.Scripting.Interpreter.FuncCallInstruction`3.Run(InterpretedFrame
frame)
   at Microsoft.Scripting.Interpreter.Interpreter.Run(InterpretedFrame
frame)

the context parameter of the _getFrameImpl call is the logging module,
depth 3

And only after continuing through this exception several times do I get to
the point where the original "Unable to cast object of type
'System.Linq.Expressions.FieldExpression' to type
'System.Linq.Expressions.BlockExpression'." exception comes up.

But it's fairly easy to get the same results running the wdb server in
Python and the client in IronPython with X:FullFrames.

I can't think of any other way I could be of help, but I'm open to
suggestions :)

Thanks anyway!

JM