[Ironpython-users] mixed line ending in time.cs and nt.cs

Pawel Jasinski pawel.jasinski at gmail.com
Mon Dec 8 13:36:09 CET 2014

On Mon, Dec 8, 2014 at 1:10 PM, Jeff Hardy <jdhardy at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 7, 2014 at 11:58 PM, Pawel Jasinski <pawel.jasinski at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, Dec 7, 2014 at 9:11 PM, Jeff Hardy <jdhardy at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > On Sun, Dec 7, 2014 at 12:04 PM, Pawel Jasinski
>> > <pawel.jasinski at gmail.com>

>> > Yes, please! (I noticed nt.cs the other night as well.)
>>
>> I have checked IronLanguages main and ipy-2.7-maint
>> Both have files with LF, CRLF and mixed. I don't want to touch the LF and
>> CRLF.
>> However the mixed files are recent introduction and pain to deal with.
>> I will fix it with single commit and will not do the history rewriting
>> unless someone give me good reason.
>>
>> I also checked ironpython3 and there are no mixed files.
>> As a side effect of the check I did CRLF stats. I see most of the
>> files committed with LF and 11 files with CRLF.
>> Is this something to be fixed, nice to have or don't care?
>

> Ideally all files are LF, since those are handled everywhere (except
> Notepad) properly. However, it's possible those files are intentionally CRLF
> for some reason so I wouldn't blindly change them. I did that conversion on
> a Mac, so that's probably why they're consistent. :)

here is the list for ironpython3:

./Src/IronPython/Runtime/Binding/MetaPythonFunction.cs:
              ASCII text, with CRLF line terminators
./Src/IronPython/Runtime/Binding/PythonBinder.cs:
              ASCII text, with CRLF line terminators
./Src/IronPython/Runtime/PythonBuffer.cs:
              ASCII text, with CRLF line terminators
./Src/IronPython/Runtime/PythonHiddenBaseClassAttribute.cs:
              UTF-8 Unicode (with BOM) text, with CRLF line
terminators
./Src/IronPython/Runtime/Types/PythonType.cs:
              ASCII text, with CRLF line terminators
./Src/IronPython.Modules/bz2/dotnetzip/BZip2/BitWriter.cs:
              ASCII text, with CRLF line terminators
./Src/IronPython.Modules/bz2/dotnetzip/BZip2/BZip2Compressor.cs:
              ASCII text, with CRLF line terminators
./Src/IronPython.Modules/bz2/dotnetzip/BZip2/Rand.cs:
              ASCII text, with CRLF line terminators
./Src/IronPython.Modules/time.cs:
              ASCII text, with CRLF line terminators
./Src/IronPython.Modules/_csv.cs:
              UTF-8 Unicode (with BOM) text, with CRLF line
terminators
./Src/IronPythonTest/EngineTest.cs:                     C source,
ASCII text, with very long lines, with CRLF line terminators

I tried first 3 and they are all on initial commit. Any particular
reason to keep them CRLF?
If not I will fix it.

> It's possible to configure autocrlf, but I don't know what the proper
> setting should be.

I will put together wiki with what I have found or better what "works for me".

> Mixed files should not be there, though.
>
> - Jeff

Since we are talking about cleanup and we have the one time
opportunity, I would like to ask one more question:

How about "no trailing spaces" rule?
- obligatory
- nice to have
- who cares