[Ironpython-users] multiprocessing?

Olof Bjarnason olof.bjarnason at gmail.com
Wed Feb 5 10:38:30 CET 2014

On 5 February 2014 09:04, Jeff Hardy <jdhardy at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 4, 2014 at 12:39 PM, Olof Bjarnason
> <olof.bjarnason at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi there, new to IronPython, but 5+ years user of CPython.
> >
> > I've done some googling already, but cannot seem to find whether or not
> the
> > Python std lib module "multiprocessing" is intended to be used in
> IronPython
> > or not.
>
> I would love to, but it's probably the most difficult module to
> support in the entire stdlib. It's also primarily (but not entirely) a
> workaround for CPython's GIL, which IronPython doesn't have. Because
> multiprocessing and threading implement the same API, in principle you
> should be able to use multiprocessing on CPython and threading on
> IronPython without much effort.

I can see multiprocessing being one of the most advanced modules of
PyStdLib, yes.

I guess I could just switch to the threading module then. But does it
support Pool e.g., so I can re-use scripts I already have written?

Is the semantics of thread the same as in Python, being "fake" threading,
not separate processes, in the IPY version of threading?

I guess a follow up on that is "why"? Shouldn't the semantics be as similar
as possible to the PyStdLib?

> > 1. Is there a web page describing exactly what python standard modules
> are
> > available in the IronPython environment?
>
> Not yet. One of my never-quite-at-the-top-of-my-list tasks is to
> create a branch of the Python documentation that contains
> IronPython-specific information. Last time I tried I got lost yak
> shaving Sphinx and never quite finished it
> (https://github.com/IronLanguages/ironpython-docs). Ideally it would
> list what version of IronPython things became available (or if they're
> not) and have completely rewritten sections for extending & embedding.

I can see this being a huge task to tackle, but it is also essential for
IronPython adoption by CPython devs (as me).

It is definately need to have documentation of what is available and not
from the StdLib.

Also, having a fork of the whole doc seems overkill - and a high
maintenance burden.

I'm asking for a list of modules and their status. Importable? Unit tests
passing? Sounds almost automatable to come with that list come to think of
it...

Is there any CI mechanism for IronPython in place? TravisCI or similar?

> > 2. Is the intention of the IronPython maintainers to at support Python
> > Standard Library? It does seem like a bit of duplication between .NET
> > platform and PyStdLib, to say the least. But as a user of both worlds,
> I'd
> > like to pick-and-choose the best from each!
>
> As much as possible, yes. There are a few cases (like multiprocessing)
> where it might be too difficult to be worth the effort, but the vast
> majority of it should Just Work.
>
> - Jeff

Thanks for you long answer Jeff!

/Olof