[Ironpython-users] WI 31764 - Memory Leak

Markus Schaber m.schaber at codesys.com
Tue Jul 15 09:17:06 CEST 2014

Hi, Slide,

As written in the 3rd comment, the heapdump was generated using ClrProfiler:
https://clrprofiler.codeplex.com/releases/view/97738

I was using an older version, it seems (before .NET 4.5 came out).

I had various mileage using different memory profilers while trying to debug this problem. Some profilers did not show any useful information (just displaying "root" holding references to some Ironpython stuff), others did crash (including ClrProfiler).

Somehow, I tracked it to some pinned objects, but got stuck then, due to lacking knowledge of IronPython and DLR internas.

We even tried to find commercial support / contractors back then to solve this problem, to no avail. (https://mail.python.org/pipermail/ironpython-users/2012-October/016273.html and some private emails to companies like Xamarin.)

Eventually, we had internal workarounds for most of the problems caused by this, and the problem was scheduled low priority.

So thanks a lot for your efforts, and good luck! Should you solve the problems, I'll invite you for a pizza and beer should we ever meet in real. ☺

Best regards

Markus Schaber

CODESYS® a trademark of 3S-Smart Software Solutions GmbH

Inspiring Automation Solutions
________________________________
3S-Smart Software Solutions GmbH
Dipl.-Inf. Markus Schaber | Product Development Core Technology
Memminger Str. 151 | 87439 Kempten | Germany
Tel. +49-831-54031-979 | Fax +49-831-54031-50

E-Mail: m.schaber at codesys.com<mailto:m.schaber at codesys.com> | Web: codesys.com<http://www.codesys.com> | CODESYS store: store.codesys.com<http://store.codesys.com>
CODESYS forum: forum.codesys.com<http://forum.codesys.com>

Managing Directors: Dipl.Inf. Dieter Hess, Dipl.Inf. Manfred Werner | Trade register: Kempten HRB 6186 | Tax ID No.: DE 167014915
This e-mail may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient (or have received
this e-mail in error) please notify the sender immediately and destroy this e-mail. Any unauthorised copying, disclosure
or distribution of the material in this e-mail is strictly forbidden.