[Ironpython-users] Adoption of IronPython

Pawel Jasinski pawel.jasinski at gmail.com
Thu Jul 17 16:38:12 CEST 2014

Recently I had 2 ideas or perhaps suggestions which may help
IronPython to get better.
I asked myself, what would help us to get more general python packages
to get IP specific patches and keep things alive. Most of them use
travis as a test framework and cover most of the python versions,
including pypy, under linux. So what is stopping us from testing the
package under IronPython? Travis does not have windows support.

So the idea 1, help good people of github to get windows support for travis.
Or if you prefer, get mono in shape so it can be used as test
environment for IP under linux.

Second observation from porting exercise of bytes vs. chars vs.
unicode. Every package keeps its own platform.py or similar which
deals with 2.x/3.x differences. After n-th package, I thought "if
there was one package for all to deal with it, someone could update it
to handle not only 2.x and 3.x but also ip2.x". Guess what, there is
already a package which does it and it appears to be used by a few
projects. It is six.

The idea 2, check what can be done about our notorious encode problem
with help of six.

--pawel