[Ironpython-users] Installation question

Jeff Hardy jdhardy at gmail.com
Tue Jun 10 15:31:53 CEST 2014

On Sat, Jun 7, 2014 at 12:42 AM, Lutz Kretzschmar <lukre at microsoft.com>
wrote:

>  Hi there,
>

> I was wondering whether it is possible to use IronPython without
> installing it. I would like to xcopy-deploy it and was hoping there is some
> mechanism the CreateEngine() can use to point it at the deployed IronPython.

All IronPython releases (http://ironpython.codeplex.com/releases/view/90087)
have a zip archive available that contains everything the installer does.
If you're embedding, please use the assemblies in the Platforms directory.

Python.CreateEngine() will use whatever version is referenced based on the
usual .NET search paths and assembly resolution rules.

You can also use NuGet if that works in your environment.

One catch is that, because the assemblies are strong-named and the
installer puts them in the GAC, you may get versioning issues on machines
that have a different version installed. 2.7.5 will mitigate this and 3.0
will fix it entirely.

- Jeff